Yesterday was the Aberdeen WalkCycleVote campaigners’ day and it was a great success. About a dozen of us shared ideas about how best to campaign for active travel in Aberdeen. We discussed what’s been done in the past, what works well, and where to go next. It was also great to meet people and encourage collaborative relationships between the different groups in Aberdeen. There were speakers from Cycling UK, Sustrans, Aberdeen Cycle Forum, Nestrans, Friends of the Earth, and WalkCycleVote.
Here are some of the ideas we came up with:
- Run a design competition for a protected/segregated bike path on King St
- Organise a cycling inspired street art festival
- Stage a demo to highlight pollution from motor vehicles
- Publish a series of “Cyclists of Aberdeen” stories with photos and bios about individuals
- Publish a series of “School run stories” about children cycling to school
- Stencil bicycles on roads around schools to show children safe routes and also keep motorists mindful of children on bikes
- Cycle around the city centre wearing gas masks to highlight the damaging effects of pollution from motor vehicles
- Give chocolates to motorists to build better relationships
- Share photos of the best streets in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire for cycling and walking
Have you got any other ideas? Please share them in the comments.